Saturday, May 2, 2009

News Flash: Philly Still Has Cheesesteak

Sometimes, you need to travel to remember that the world as we know it still exists. I tend to forget that while emailing and blogging and twittering and facebooking.

I've been thinking about that a lot lately at the same time that I keep introducing new media into my life. So I may have started tweeting, but now I have a painter friend who sends me snail mail letters, and I love it. We're pen pals--something I haven't done since university days. Graham blogs, but he also writes letters on paper. Lucky me.

This week, all it took for me to get into a travel head was a $20 day trip to Philadelphia on the Chinatown bus. I wrote a letter to Graham as I rode the bus. Very meditative--looking out the window and writing about trying to achieve a state of ego-less nothingness.

And when I got to Philly, I was happy to see that even though the Philadelphia Inquirer daily newspaper is in bankruptcy, you can still buy the paper.


And just across the street from Independence Hall, I learned that you can still get a cheesesteak sandwich in Philly.











Some things never change.

1 comment:

  1. I want to do that! Where did you go when you got to Philly?

    I also have a letter writer friend and since the internet has sprung up our correspondence is so lacking, i am ashamed...she sticks to her pen!

    ReplyDelete